My dear extraordinary youth, you were sent to earth at this precise time, the most crucial time in the history of the world, to help gather Israel. There is nothing happening on this earth right now that is more important than that. There is nothing of greater consequence. Absolutely nothing.This gathering should mean everything to you. This is the mission for which you were sent to earth. So my question to you is “Are you willing to enlist in the youth battalion of the Lord to help gather Israel?” Please think about it. -President Russell M. Nelson

Sunday, December 16, 2018

Week 4: Duart e mia janë patatae = my hands are potatoes.



HELLO EVERYONE!! 

MTC Culture Shocks:
1. Christmas time is SPECIAL... especially at the MTC. Imagine all your favorite Christmas songs sung everywhere you go. It is amazing. 
2. If you hold the door for one person, you hold it for 57 people. 
3. Saying goodbye to friends leaving to enter the mission field is one of the hardest things I've ever done. 

This week: First up, we got our Albanian name tags this week so now I'm officially Motra Sëtën (Sister Sutton). We took Christmas photos as a district and they are so stinking cute. I have the BEST district ever. That reminds me... send me your family Christmas cards they are so cute! We taught many lessons this week and they went so well. My teacher said, "If you stay close to the Spirit you will have unlimited success." I loved that. We've been lighting our community this week at the MTC. Motra Beals' mom sent us a bunch of candy canes to give out to people. What we're doing is not big, but miracles happen in simple ways. We had a musical devotional on Sunday by the BYU Men's Chorus and brought tears to our eyes it was so beautiful. We also had a devotional on Tuesday by Sister Craven (the second counselor in the Young Women's General Presidency) and she said some amazing things. Our language is BOOMING. We are finally able to start working on the crazy grammar of Shqip and it's sooo difficult but so fun. We said goodbye to the ASL district in our zone and it was so freaking sad. Who knew that anyone would be sad leaving the MTC but we've made friendships that will last forever.  

Good chuckles: 
1. Okay so I told you all last week about the secret elf. Well the secret elf did some funny things this week. On Friday the elf moved one of the Hungarians desk and chair and put it in the room next door. Then she sat in the spot his desk used to be with a note that said, " You've been elfed sok sekert" (A little backstory- we have learned the word good luck in 14 languages now at the MTC so as a little shaka (joke) we always tell our friends good luck in their language instead of hello. Sok sekert means goodluck in Hungarian) The elf has made for some good fun in our zone. 
2. One of our ASL friends told us the sign for unicorn and it actually means idiot so we told him that the phrase "I like four square" is "duart e mia janë patatae" but it actually means my hands are potatoes. It's not that funny but with our missionary humor we thought it was hilarious. 
3. One of my foursquare friends is from Washington and his high school mascot was the bombers. As a joke he always says, "Go bombers" at the most random times. I started cheering for the bombers helping to support his team every foursquare game and then this week he came in with a bombers shirt that his mom sent for me!!! Hahah I have to apologize to all my Miners. I think I may be a Bomber fan now. 

Spiritual thoughts:
1. We taught our REAL people lessons again this week and had the absolute best experience. Lately, we have been praying for the gift of tongues and it was SO evident in our lessons. We went completely off our lesson plan and were able to understand and speak to the Albanians!!! How cool is that!! It was our best lesson by far. To think that we are able to teach lessons, speak, and understand Albanian within 1 month is a miracle. The gift of tongues is real. 

2. I decided that my goal this Christmas is to draw closer to my Savior. I have started reading Jesus the Christ and studying my scriptures in a new way. Everyday I have grown closer to my Savior, more than I ever thought possible. He IS our brother, Savior, and Redeemer. He knows us, and loves us, and suffered for each of us individually. I've really been able to focus in on the true meaning of Christmas this year and I've never been happier. 
3. Our teacher decided to switch up companionships for an hour to practice teaching lessons. It was super fun because Elder Lawrence and I got to be companions!! Haha it was actually super weird but super fun. I learned 2 major things from this experience. 1. Since Elder Lawrence and I have never taught a lesson together we didn't know how to construct our lesson so we really had to rely on the spirit to be able to know what to say and what to teach. It was really hard. It taught me that when you are focused on having the spirit with you you can perform miracles ANYWHERE. 2. I realized how thankful I am for my companions. THEY ARE THE BEST. Teaching someone without the smooth groove of my companions was so difficult and I was really able to have a moment to reflect on how much I love them and how amazing they truly are. 
4. Quote of the week from Sister Craven, "People like to be around happy people and you have the ability to be contagiously happy. Don't underestimate the work you CAN do." 

Well, there's my novel email for this week. Don't forget to send me your Christmas cards and continue to light your community this week!!! 

Sister Hannah Sutton
JAN16 ADRTCS
2005 N 900 E Unit 306 
Provo Ut 84602



Hurrah for Israel!!!!! 


Love, Motra Sëtën

No comments:

Post a Comment